Top 11 BEST Data Center Companies In 2023
Data center companies are centralized information stores. These consist of server farms and network devices that store, process, and distribute large amounts of data to customers. Data centers can provide services such as data storage, analysis, warehousing, etc.
On-premises data center
An on-prem data center is one of a company's locations near or at its headquarters or place of business. It stores all the data that the company produces and processes internally.
Cloud vs. Data Center
A very recognizable fact is that cloud servers are much cheaper and more convenient compared to data centers. Cloud servers are basically data centers that host data for different companies under the same roof. They also provide data center companies with various software services such as suites and office applications for their operations.
This allows companies to move from an expense of capital (CapEx) model to a cost of operations (OpEx) model. Therefore, they don't have to worry about the maintenance or repair of the devices or any upgrades.
What is a hyper-scale data center?
The hyper-scale data center is a facility operated by the company providing support. This includes data centers owned by big companies like Amazon, Google, and Microsoft. These data centers provide businesses and individuals with robust and scalable applications and storage portfolio services.
How to choose the right data center?
There are a few things to consider when choosing the right data center provider.
- Location: Having a nearby data center is a big plus. It's a much bigger benefit than the cost savings you could get by placing it far away. The distance between you and your data center can affect data speeds. They can also affect the response time to an emergency.
- Reliability: Be sure to find out which redundant systems the data center offers in case of emergencies. This can happen during bad weather, power outages, etc. You should also ensure proper ventilation and cooling.
- Security: Proper security in your data center is critical. Because it hosts data and business applications, any breach could mean compromise. Average cyberattacks can cost millions.
- Network capacity: This can be measured objectively using statistics such as network reliability, speed, security protocols, etc. You need to make sure you have the space and power to meet your needs. You could also invest in server collocation, where you use a shared local facility. You can rent the space and pay for the electricity while the data center operator maintains the security systems.
- Scalability and Flexibility: When you run a business, it's critical that you find a data center that can meet your needs. If you sign up with someone with a very rigid structure and no flexibility, you may encounter obstacles to expansion.
- Backup Systems: Large data centers identify and address multiple points of failure and set up backup systems to deal with this outage. Therefore, they find ways to mitigate risks due to natural disasters, hacks, power outages, etc.
Thus, they have a UPS for backup power, protocols for dealing with hacks, and backup generators and fire extinguishing systems, etc.
Top 11 Best Data Center Companies In 2023
Equinix is one of the most famous data center companies in the world nowadays and was founded in 1998. Its headquarters are in Redwood City, California, USA. The company employed 7,273 people in 2017 and serves 24 countries including the UK and the US. It has an extensive network of 202 data centers worldwide and 12 more are being installed.
Digital Realty was founded in 2004 and is headquartered in San Francisco, CA, USA. The company has more than 1,530 employees, 214 data centers, and operates in 14 countries.
China Telecom is one of the world's largest data center companies. It was founded in 2002 and is headquartered in Beijing. While its services are present in only 10 countries, the company has more than 456 data centers and serves mainland China. The company has nearly 300,000 employees.
NTT Communications was established in 1999 and its headquarter is in Tokyo, Japan. The company has a total of 48 data centers and operates in 17 countries. It employs almost 310,000 people worldwide.
Verizon was founded in 1983 and is headquartered in Basking Ridge, New Jersey, USA. The company employs approximately 139,400 people. The company provides services to nearly 150 countries and it has nearly 40 data centers.
Telehouse/KDDI is a merger of two data center companies. KDDI was founded in 1953 while in 1988, Telehouse was founded. The former is based in Tokyo and the latter in London. They have a total of 40 data centers and are active in 12 countries. They have a total of 35,000 employees worldwide.
Founded in 2001, Coresite is headquartered in Denver, Colorado, USA, and employs approximately 454 people. Currently owns approximately 22 data centers in 8 countries.
365 Data Center
365 Data Centers was founded in 2002 and is headquartered in Connecticut, USA. The company operates 11 data centers across the country and employs more than 200 people.
Cyxtera was founded in 2017 and is headquartered in Coral Gables, Florida, USA. The company employs approximately 1,150 people and operates in 9 countries. It has 60 data centers around the world.
Amazon Web Services
Amazon Web Services was founded in 2006 as a subsidiary of Amazon. It is headquartered in Seattle, Washington, USA, and employs nearly 25,000 people. It has 116 data centers around the world.
China Unicom was founded in 1994 and is headquartered in Beijing. It has about 250,000 employees and a total of 550 data centers. The company serves two main markets, which are mainland China, and Hong Kong.
Have you made your decision?
The data center is one of the core factors for the strong development of information technology today. Knowing the best data center companies in this industry will give you an edge in analyzing and fulfilling your desires. Above are the top 11 best companies in the data center industry, each with its own strengths and core services.
Need some tips? We’re here to help
So the best data center company for you depends on your needs and budget. Please take a deep look before making your decision.
Major: Business Administration, but I'm looking to try my hand at marketing. Hobby: Sports and photography Job: Ads rating/freelancer content Desire: to experience many areas of marketing to find the aspect that I like the most